Do you love tomatoes? Here are some tips for better eating, ripening and storing.
1. Tomatoes taste best if eaten immediately.
2. The longer you cook tomatoes, the better they are for you. The heat increases the bioavailability of key nutrients.
3. Tomato paste, the concentrated essence of ripe tomatoes, has up to ten times more lycopene than raw tomatoes.
4. Never put your tomatoes in the refrigerator. The cold can stop them them from producing flavor.
5. Keep stored tomatoes out of the sun. It depletes their Vitamin C.
6. Store tomatoes stem side up and cover with cheese cloth. This keeps the bugs away.
7. Store semi-ripe tomatoes in a brown bag on the counter.
8. Green tomatoes that need help ripening can get a boost by storing them in a brown bag with apples.
Source: National Gardening Association, Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robison